Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Jealousy

Has it really almost been 2 years? Why wasn't it just yesterday that McKay got his braces put on? His teeth weren't horrible, but they definitely needed some help! And trying to get a picture of the guy seemed to take forever. Nut!





And then I got the bright idea to "fix" the slowly overlapping teeth situation that I had going on. Again, not horrible, but they weren't going to stop moving any time soon. I had braces way back when I was 11 - 12. And heck, insurance would pay for part of it...sounds like a good idea? Right? So here we have my "Brace Buddy" as I call him. What 8th grade boy wouldn't love to have their mommy call them their buddy? Smootchie smootchie momma's pookie.
And then here is McKay looking so relaxed knowing that he didn't have to wear the darned things anymore. And trust me--he's been rubbing it in. And as Scott so kindly reminds me, "You CHOSE to have them put on Carrie." Um, thank you for the sympathy. Don't listen to what anyone says--they DO hurt. Anyone who says they don't is a liar. I'd have an epidural in my mouth for the first week after the wire change if I could.
Every time we went into the Orthodontist's office they had to "batten down the hatchets" for McKay's arrival. He'd figured out how to raise and lower the seat with the "hidden lever", he'd play with the thing that sucks your saliva by filling water in a cup and sucking it up AND this is his SECOND favorite tool. Had to get that photo op.
And now even happier knowing that he doesn't have to have another impression made of his teeth with that goopy cement that I am positive they use on sidewalks. It makes me gag just thinking about it.


I am attempting to get a last picture of us together until mine are removed, but as you can see even after 2 years, some things never change.




He'd wait until right before the camera took the picture and would make a face. Once a nut, always a nut. I guess it runs in the family.









And I am happy for my son, really I am. No more green lettuce wedged in the front when you're talking. No more rubber bands flinging spit like you're blowing bubbles. No more Ibuprofen Cocktails. Straight, nice, beautiful teeth. He's paid the price and it is an exciting time, but I admit, there is just a tinge of jealousy. Just a tinge.

No comments: