Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bittersweet

Christmas Day was different this year. After a call in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve from Scott's father, Scott rushed to the hospital where his mother was in the ICU. She was in critical condition and there were tests to be run, things to be decided, and much worrying on everyone's part. We waited to know more.

Scott returned home with a bit of information and hoping to see the kids open their presents.






















I was so proud of Keaton who patiently waited (even if it was hard) his father's return from the hospital.

McKay our Christmas jester.









And Sophie with the Webkinz bat she has been wishing for since before Halloween!








We went to my parents for a quick breakfast and back home to await anything on Scott's mom. Scott and I decided to head over to the hospital and our three children spent the majority of Christmas Day at home alone until their Grandma Narvasa somehow managed to plow through the snow and get to our house. I write this all now, many days after this occurance and I am quite happy to say that Scott's mom is fine. Fighting for her life, she once again beat the odds and surely has more work to finish on this earth. I cannot say how grateful I am for that. It really gave us all a scare. With this time of year and the reason that we are celebrating, you can't help but reflect on our blessings. Thank goodness for our families who are close and who pull together whenever there is a crisis. There is much love and warmth and this Christmas has been bittersweet.

2 comments:

Margie and Mark said...

Scary! We hope your mom in law will continue to do well-is it a chronic condition or something she will have to monitor? Just another reminder of our mortality and how we are slowly exchanging places with our parents at this stage in everyone's lives. I am happy that all is better now.

Murf said...

Yes it definitely was scary! She was "septic" which means she had blood poisoning. The organs shut down after that. She was hanging on the edge and totally pulled through. And yes, it is a constant reminder of our parents and the fact that they are not superhuman as we once thought! When you're little--you think your parents are invincible. I wish they were. Thanks for the well wishes.