
And look at us before the race. Betty and Patty have that knowing glance and why I, I look like I have no idea what I am in for. Well, that and wishing that I hadn't drank that tall glass of water not so long ago.


I enjoyed the whole experience; the training to get ready, the pretend carb loading and hydrating the day before, the expo to pick up our bib numbers. But I have to say the coolest thing about the marathon was the people. It rained, no wait, it POURED. Hello, it's Portland. Despite the torrential downpour for a good chunk of time, people were happy and so kind. Like this guy in red. He was along the whole route and we'd never know where we would see him. All of the sudden, he'd just be there--cheering us on. It was like "Where's Waldo". And I'll admit, I totally wanted to stuff those air inflated "spirit sticks" down his throat at one point, but by mile 23--I was quite happy to see him again! Besides, I didn't have the energy to take him down.

And my goodness, when in your life will you ever get to experience this? Walking across the St. John's Bridge. It is a steel suspension bridge with about a 1200 foot main span and it crosses the Willamette River. Totally cool.

And, of course, the lady dressed up like a blueberry for Kaiser Permanente. Hey, if you can rock blue tights while shouting in a bull horn, who am I to criticize? She had some serious spirit.

And you know you're at the end of the race when you hear what? The Fat Lady sing. And she really does sing. Plus she sports pink Nike running shoes. Is there anyone who isn't on Nike's payroll? Oh wait, I'm not. I'm pretty sure they won't be banging down my door.
And the finish line! Soaking wet, but so thrilled to have done this! We ran down the chute---you gotta finish gloriously!

And as a bonus surprise, Scott and the kids decorated the garage for when I arrived home. And it said: CongraDulations Mom! I love my family of good spillers.
And as a bonus surprise, Scott and the kids decorated the garage for when I arrived home. And it said: CongraDulations Mom! I love my family of good spillers.
I wasn't the fastest. I didn't set any records. Just a mom with a goal and some friends to help enjoy the ride. What can I say except we rocked the Portland Marathon!

1 comment:
I'm so inspired. You had me laughing and crying all within what, 8 pictures. What a cool thing to add to your list of life.
Wendy
Post a Comment