Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ice

Aside from the fact that most of our family is here, we love the Pacific Northwest because of the beauty and the weather. Scrap that, apparently we are in Fargo. Now for us it is never just snow--it is usually snow AND ice. When the weather turns like this, we tend to have ice storms. Here is our house with the snow, a layer of ice, and more snow. We are close to the Columbia Gorge so there are some serious winds. Here is one of our snow drifts by our playhouse. Yes folks, that is almost 19 inches.

This is the accumlation in the backyard. This is without yesterday's accumulation.

And here is our measurement for the front yard.



I didn't even get to trim my hydrangea down. I guess I'll do that when the ice and snow melts!



I opened my side garage door to find this. This is an area blocked by several trees and really shouldn't have accumulated much. I love that the door's panels are imprinted in the snow.


Here you can see the backyard and play house. (Still without the new paint and quite unsightly.) I am secretly praying that our old section of the fence goes down just to tick our neighbor off. Shhh. Don't tell anyone. He's being a pill.





McKay attempting to make a snow angel. Um, you see how he is on TOP of the snow. Yea, well that would be the ice on top of the snow. Pretty hilarious.

And although the ice can be quite dangerous because it is so thick (about 1 inch) it is so beautiful on the trees. It is not blowing in this picture, the tree is frozen that way. The freezing rain and wind left this tree like a statue. Freeze tag you're it.







McKay holding a chunk of ice that he got off the bar-b-que.
And what would a girl with 2 brothers be building? A snow fort of course--for protection! Sophie did this herself and was so proud!Hunkering down, waiting patiently...she waits for her prey. Watch out, there's ice, ice baby!










No comments: