Friday, November 28, 2008

Thankless

Every Thanksgiving we always list things that we are thankful for. And I am sure many, if not most of our lists are quite similar; our children, spouses, extended families, jobs, etc. And no disrespect to any of those--I am so thankful for those people and blessings in my life. But you know, it's like when you're watching the Oscars and you know someone who totally did a ton of work is so not getting their name mentioned over the pulpit? Well, that's what I am saying here. I am going to list 5 things that I am grateful for that often get no thanks:

1. My garage. How many times have you taken this for granted? I didn't have a house for years. It's pouring rain and I am attempting to take two small children, groceries, my purse & 2 Lego Bionicles to our apartment after climbing 67 stairs. Now, all I have to do is push a little button and drive right into the dry garage. No downpour, no wet pants, no puddles, no frizzy hair. (And I can still wear my pajama bottoms down to the bus stop.)

2. Popcorn. Ever since I was little, I have LOVED popcorn. It is so light, so fluffy, and the smell....I love the smell. Now don't get me wrong--I'm a popcorn snob. None of this popped in a microwave bag stuff. That is for those who know nothing of true popcorn. You're not a purist if you're satisfied with a bag filled with unpopped kernels and half-burnt fluff stuck to the side of the bag. No, it is the hot air popped that makes me succomb. The smell of delicious hot popcorn, lightly bathed in butter. Lightly people, lightly. And no salt. Hey, you have to draw the line somewhere. Am I making you hungry? Just don't tell my orthodontist. Shhhhh, it's our little secret.

3. The Magic Eraser. I thought my life was complete with my husband and three children. I had no idea what I was missing out on. Then, one monumentous day--my mother-in-law introduced me to the Magic Eraser. Oh, where have you been all these years? You remove pen. You remove paint. You lighten my burden time and time again. It really is magic. It's like meth---I have to have my Magic Eraser. (Not that I am saying I need Meth.)

4. Chocolate. I don't eat it all the time, but when you need something sweet & good--chocolate is there. Take note when you go to a party. What dessert is usually gone first? Chocolate. What do people often crave? Chocolate. Ooey gooey and oh so delicious, don't ever underestimate its power. It is strong. Try it. You need your children to finish cleaning their rooms? There you go. Hey, I'm not above a bribe.

5. Socks. I am always cold--I mean all of the time. But if I put on some warm, fluffy socks, I can warm my core temp up a few measurable degrees. And a good pair of socks turns me into Michelle Kwan on my hardwoods. You should see my triple lutz. And do not forget that socks help prevent me from seeing people's hairy, flaky, filthy feet. I don't want to see them, nor do I want to smell them. ick. Sorry I had to go there.

There you have it, just a few of the many totally random things I am grateful for. You know my list could go on and on---seriously there are so many things that I have been truly blessed with, but let's not forget the everyday things! It's a thankless job. Thankless.

2 comments:

myrtle budge said...

Amen.

Margie and Mark said...

Ooh, you reminded me I need to get some magic eraser! The remedy to all life's little unexpected treasures . . . popcorn and chocolate work well, too!