Thursday, April 9, 2009

Seattle

It's Spring Break and what is a family on a budget to do? I wanted sun. Unfortunately the sun was far away. The rain, wet, & dark were harshing my mellow. So where the heck do we head? Seattle. Nice game plan.

We maxed out our "family fun in the car" at about hour 3. Then reality set in and well, we were glad to roll into Seattle. We drove and found a hotel that was close to where we wanted to be and relaxed for the evening. Of course, a requirement for the Murphys is the ever glamorous "Continental Breakfast". And who should our family find in the dining area? Why it's our friends the Huckvales. SWEET! Our prayers had been answered and now our kids wouldn't continue to torment one another. Okay, no promises, but hey---we were so glad to see them!
Chad, Luke, & Keaton enjoying a refreshing concoction. Not EXACTLY how the hotel intended for it to be served--but it hit the spot.

We bought a City Pass which allowed us to see like 6 attractions at a considerable discount. First on the list--EMP or Experience Music Project. This place was so cool. We totally channeled our inner rockstar! You could play real instruments; the bass guitar, drums, electric guitars, you name it. You could go in a "jam room" and rock out. There was tons of memorabilia and the kids even got to make a video where they "played" instruments and "sang".
This was set up like a stage and Luke and Keat are getting their groove on. Party on Wayne. Party on Garth.


I loved this huge collage of real guitars.
Another stop on the list--the Seattle Aquarium. I guess I don't need to type that--you can probably read it.
There were sea otters which to me, are so funny. The just love to show off and come right up to the glass.

And you can even touch some of the starfish, sea anemones, and sea cucumbers. Sophie totally grooved on that.



It wouldn't be a trip to Seattle without going to Pike's Place Market. I would love to be able to frequent this place often. But, uh, I don't want to LIVE in Seattle. Cool town, more rain. No thank you.


They have all kinds of cool places with fresh fruit, flowers, homemade trinkets, and of course, the famous guys that throw the fish around. There's always a big crowd and the kids love watching. It reeks though.



Then we went around the harbor on a 1 hour tour. Yes, a 1 hour tour. Here is a well-fed seal chillaxin'.




And all of the different ports. As you can see--it's a bit hazy and uh, damp.









We also hit the Children's Science Museum. Cool place with LOTS to do. Heck, we even got to see an IMAX movie in 3-D. Unfortunately we were so close to the screen that I was wishing I'd taken dramamine for our "sea adventure". bleeeh.




Keaton loved this gadget that you could talk into and someone across the room could hear you and reply. It was all about the sound vibes. I'm pickin' up good vibrations..... Um, okay, lame I know.





And here is Sophie fidgeting with a science experiment. She LOVES this stuff!




McKay trying to make a face as quick as he can so the picture doesn't turn out. Too bad mom threatened him. Bring it.










Here is Luke with a very hands on experiment. Seriously, I slay myself! I'll be here all week people.

And Macy deciding where to go next. Too many choices.


Isn't this the stuff kid's nightmares are made of? I mean, really?




















But they did have this fun butterfly exhibit. They fly everywhere and you have to turn around twice before you leave to make sure none have landed on you. I don't even want to think about butterfly poop.






Even though we traveled 3 hours to go to a place where there was colder temps, SNOW, and we'd forgotten our coats back home--we still had fun! And thanks to the Huckvales for helping bring balance to the force. We couldn't have had this trip without them. Okay, we could've, but it wouldn't have been the same.

1 comment:

Margie and Mark said...

That EMP place sounds great--too bad we didn't know about it when we were in Seattle this past summer. Sounds like you guys made the most of spring break and had a fun time, Murphy style!